Pre-College Scholars Program
The goal of the Clark School Pre-College Scholars Program is to recruit talented students to attend the A. James Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland. It prepares students to perform well on the Scholastic Aptitude Test (S.A.T.) and provides students and families with the tools and strategies necessary to navigate the college application process. The program recruits students in the 11th grade who have an interest in and aptitude for mathematics, science and/or engineering. The program is currently targeting students from schools in Prince George’s County, Maryland, Baltimore City, Maryland, and select schools in Montgomery County, Maryland (see list below). Students from schools in Washington, DC are encouraged to apply as well.
There will be a total of fifteen (15) sessions beginning in late-June and concluding in late-July, running from 9:00 a.m. - 3:00 p.m., each day, at the University of Maryland. Students in the program are also required to attend all mandatory orientations and the administration of a pre- and post-test. Students will receive a detailed schedule at the time of their acceptance.
- Extensive SAT preparation in a small classroom setting
- Engagement with University of Maryland students, faculty and staff to gain experience in the field of engineering
- Workshops on college admission and applying for financial aid
- Access to engineering facilities through tours and lab visits
- Hands-on engineering activities
- University of Maryland admissions application fee waiver.
- A college scholarship to students admitted to the Clark School of Engineering.
Please note that admission to the Pre-College Scholars Program does not guarantee admission to the University of Maryland.
The program costs $200. The cost of the program covers all expenses except transportation to and from the university and incidental spending money. The program fee is due upon acceptance to the program.
- Student must be currently in the eleventh grade.
- Student must attend a high school in Prince George's County or Baltimore City, Maryland, or a high school in Washington, DC. This year, the program is expanding its recruitment efforts this year to select high schools in Montgomery County, Maryland. Students from the following schools will be eligible to apply:
- Albert Einstein HS
- John F. Kennedy HS
- Northwood HS
- Wheaton HS
- Student must have previously taken the PSAT or SAT, and have scores available.
- Student must have a minimum cumulative 3.5 GPA.
Students must submit:
- An online application (To access the online application, please click here.) Applications will become available on December 5, 2016.
- Official high school transcript
- Official copy of PSAT and/or SAT scores
- Request a recommendation from a science, technology, engineering or math teacher. (The recommendation form can be found here.)
DEADLINE EXTENDED UNTIL MAY 19, 2017
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling-basis, and students will be accepted until all spots are filled.
- Ms. Aishah Briscoe, Program Coordinator in the Office of Undergraduate Recruitment and Scholarship Programs, A. James Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland. Address: 1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall, College Park, MD 20742. Phone: (301) 405-5342. E-mail: email@example.com
- Mr. Bruk Berhane, Assistant Director of Undergraduate Recruitment and Scholarship Programs, A. James Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland. Address: 1131 Glenn L. Martin Hall, College Park, MD 20742. Phone: (301) 405-0287. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.